Welcome to the Science Department
- To create an environment which encourages students and staff to contribute to the intellectual, cultural, and positive ethos of the Academy and the communities it serves.
- To provide facilities and technology that supports the learning environment.
- Use a diverse and balanced curriculum to promote success achievable by all.
- Staff to use conceptual learning that engages students in relevant activities that enable them to apply and communicate their knowledge.
- Guiding pupils to solve problems in an independent and coherent manner.
- To engage pupils in the use of various ICT formats that aid and develop independent learning.
- To enthuse and motivate learners with an education that relates to current issues.
- To enhance learners’ numeracy and literacy skills through a scientific context.
- To use a range of diverse assessment techniques so that learners are aware of their strengths, weakness and progress, enabling teachers to focus on target areas in the curriculum.
- To engage learners at a higher level to promote a position of lifelong learning using science and scientific processes.
Follow us on twitter by following @HalewoodScience
Listen to the Science Podcasts by Mr Gilbertson, Mr Kendrick and Mr Marsh here, or listen to the latest episode below.
Mr Worrall using the Google VR Headsets
Amazing Student Work
A fantastic piece of homework by Abigail O'Rourke in 7W1!! Amazing effort!!
This is a fantastic example of our Takeaway Homework by Stephanie Day
Attendance and Achievement
Your school attendance is hugely important when it comes to your progress. The more you're in, the more you'll learn! If your attendance is below 96% then your progress is going to be significantly affected.
The pupils listed below all have 100% since the beginning of the year and, as a result, have all achieved or exceeded their MEG following the latest round of assessments. Remember, excellent attendance has a positive impact on pupil progress!
All science teachers use the VIVO system to reward our students. If you feel as though you deserve some VIVO's, LET YOUR TEACHER KNOW!! Show off your science skills, knowledge or enthusiasm!!
To check how many vivos you have, click on this link
There is a section on my RM unify called Science Revision Materials. We have filled this full of PowerPoints, Podcasts, exam Questions and other materials to help you revise for your exam. just click here
Here is a list of useful revision websites:
There are past paper questions available for each course, just click on the link below for the course you are following:
There are also Year 11 Revision sessions on Monday after school 3-4pm. See your science teacher for more information!
Schemes of Work
Key Stage 3
Year 7 and 8
Scheme of work based on the Key Stage Three national curriculum Programme of Study. For more information click here
Key Stage 4
Year 9 and 10
Most pupils are following the AQA GCSE Combined Science:Trilogy . To view the specification the students are following please click here
Some pupils will be studying the AQA Core GCSE. To view the specification the students are following please click here
Most pupils will be studying the AQA Additional Science. To view the specification the students are following please click here
Some pupils will be studying the AQA Further Additional Science. To view the specification the students are following please click here
If you are unsure which specification you are studying, ask your science teacher.
There are intervention groups in place across years 7-11. If you would like to know more information about these, don't hesitate to contact school and ask for Mr Swift or Mr Marsh.