- To plan and deliver structured and exciting lessons that ensure statutory requirements are met and which enable individuals to progress and achieve to the best of their ability in MFL.
- To develop our students’ intercultural awareness and understanding of cultural diversity throughout the world by learning about other countries and cultures where French or Spanish may be widely spoken.
- To develop our students’ ability to understand and communicate in a foreign language by offering a variety of language options and qualifications.
- To develop students’ Personal, Learning and Thinking skills through creativity and a collaborative thematic approach to learning and teaching.
- To provide opportunities to broaden students’ cultural, social and emotional development both inside and outside the curriculum.
- To develop and encourage an understanding of core British values.
Key Stage 3:
Spanish is studied in Year 7 and 8.
What will I study in Spanish?
In year 7 you will begin by learning how to understand and respond to simple sentences. You will learn memory techniques and practise pronunciation and build on grammatical knowledge.
Linguistic ability will be developed across the skill areas of Speaking and Listening, Reading and Writing. Topics studied will include how to understand and respond in Spanish in the following situations:
Personal Information/Family/ Free Time/School/House And Home/ In The City/Arranging To Go Out/Fashion/Daily Routine
You will revisit and recycle grammatical knowledge in order to support your learning. You will continue to learn memory techniques and practise pronunciation. Linguistic ability will be developed across the skill areas of Speaking and Listening, Reading and Writing. Topics studied will include how to understand and respond in Spanish in the following situations:
Holidays/Food and Drink/Technology/My School/Health and Unhealthy Lifestyles/The Environment
By the end of year 8 you will have acquired a bank of vocabulary and linguistic structures to give you a firm foundation for the GCSE course.
Key Stage 4:
Spanish is studied in Year 9.
Spanish and French are studied in Year 10.
Spanish is studied in Year 11.
Year 9 Spanish = WJEC Eduqas
Year 10 Spanish and French = WJEC Eduqas
Year 11 Spanish = WJEC Eduqas